Name: Jasmyn Burton
Programs facilitated: All 4 programs at Pike High School in the 2017-2018 school year
- How did you learn about Girls Inc.? – I attended the Touchstone Awards Luncheon last summer with my employer.
- Why did you choose to volunteer with Girls Inc.? – After attending the Touchstone Awards last summer and being able to interact with some of the girls I knew I wanted to be involved with Girls Inc.
- What have you enjoyed most about volunteering with Girls Inc.? – Building relationships with the girls and being able to be a positive role model and sounding board for them.
- Does any facilitation memory or any one of the girls stand out to you? Explain. – I had a girl in one of my sessions that lived with her father and had some questions about some female issues. It made me feel good that she felt comfortable with myself and my co-facilitator to ask us the questions versus asking her friends that may not have been able to give her sound advice.
- Why do you think Girls Inc. programs are beneficial to girls? – It allows them to interact with positive female role models. With so many negative images of women in the media targeting young girls I think it is important for them to have positive women (besides their parents) to look up to and build relationships with.
- Have you noticed any changes in your own life since volunteering with Girls Inc.? – I have become more aware of what is going on in the lives of teenagers and have been able to look at my own life to see what I can do differently to be a positive role model for young women.
- What kind of things have you learned after facilitating a Girls Inc. program? – Young people really do pay attention to everything happening around them and we need to make it a point to be open with them and allow them to express themselves without being judgmental.
- Tell a tip for volunteer program facilitators about volunteering or working as a team. – Go in with an open mind and be ready to learn from the girls as well as them learning from you.
- Tell a tip for Girls Inc. Girls. – Be yourself because there is only one you.
Additional comments about your volunteer experience? Overall it has been a great experience working with Girls Inc. and I cannot wait to volunteer in the next school year.