Remember that day in December when you looked out the window and dreaded leaving the house? You know, the day it was about two degrees outside and road was all icy, and you were already running about 15 minutes late. Well, throw that memory out with the garbage – it’s spring! The sun is out and we have no excuse for staying inside. As adults we have our own excuses for staying inside during the winter, and we like to come up with them for spring and summer as well. Your excuses will get you nowhere this spring; it’s time to put that coat away for the year, boots, too, and put on your play clothes!
When you are young anytime you can go outside you do, and you cherish it! Where does that go when we get older? Why isn’t it built into our workday? Here at Girls Inc. we are fortunate to have a great picnic area on our property. It’s a great place to relax, rejuvenate, and restart our engines. What are easy ways to program fresh air, energy, and fun into your day? Here are some ideas to start your brainstorming:
- Open your windows (in the car and at home)
- Take a walk (during any and all breaks)
- Sit outside when the occasion allows
- Don’t drive – walk or bike when possible
- Schedule trips to a park, any park (visit Indy Parks' website)
- Explore new bike trails (visit Indy Parks' website)
- Take up a new hobby that encourages you to enjoy the great outdoors
- Start a garden
- Weed your lawn (you’d be amazed the amount of exercise this is)
If none of this tickles your fancy, check out the Indianapolis Parks Department Summer Fun Guide. Central Indiana is full of green space and grown up recess activities that are just waiting for you to take advantage of them. Whatever you do, make sure that kids aren’t the only ones getting the benefit of a little outdoorsy release. Make a promise to yourself to have recess of your own, even if it is just for 15 minutes a week. Those 15 minutes will make a world of a difference.