Monday, December 12, 2011 3:30 PMHoliday Gifts for Strong, Smart, and Bold Girls
Jen Van Dame, AmeriCorps VISTA Public Affairs
Why are the default gifts for girls always pink, sparkly reminders of gender stereotypes? This holiday season, let’s get beyond Barbie dolls and Easy Bake Ovens. Consider these recommendations for the girls on your holiday shopping list:
- Encourage creativity with art and craft supplies. From markers and paints to DIY kits for tie-dye, girls are engaged by projects of their own design.
- Make science fun and interactive with a butterfly garden. In just under two weeks, your girl can observe the process of metamorphosis, feed the butterflies, and release the butterflies into the outdoors. For those living in cold climates, consider an ant farm. These micro engineers are fascinating as well!
- For younger girls excited by pretend play and dress-up, choose items like doctor kits or toy cash registers. Don’t limit their imagination to princesses or housewives! Plus, toy cash registers can be used to practice counting and money transactions.
- If your girl is interested in music, consider giving her a musical instrument that she would like to learn how to play. Music education has been shown to positively affect cognitive development, as well as improve academic performance.
- Encourage reading skills and support your girl’s interests by giving her age appropriate books related to her passions. (For suggestions, see Inspired by… Books as a Girl and A Girl Inspired by Books.)
- Consider giving items that will keep your girl active, such as outdoor games, a bike, or a jump rope. For the winter season, consider a sled or a pair of ice skates. You could even buy an inexpensive backyard ice rink for ice skating at home!
Do you have any holiday gift ideas for strong, smart, and bold girls? Please let us know! Happy shopping!