This year it’s as if the coordinators for International Women’s Day were targeting our organization for their theme: today we celebrate “Connecting girls, inspiring futures” in honor of International Women’s Day. This theme is in essence our mission for greater Indianapolis girls.
What I like best about this year’s theme is the ripple effect it implies. As the IWD website says, “If every International Women’s Day event held in 2012 includes girls in some way, then thousands of minds will be inspired globally.” It’s so important to reach the minds of girls, but this process starts with awareness by the adults in a girl’s lives. That means you! So how can you get informed and inspired today?
There are so many groups representing the day. If you need a little inspiration or positive vibes for your own celebration or to pass on to your network (sharing engaging resources is the best way to increase awareness!), check out these articles, videos, and organizations:
- Watch this video for an excellent view of how women’s lives have changed since 1840, with reference to female inventors and Indy’s own Madame CJ Walker.
- The Daily Beast has collected stories and images of 150 fearless women who are making their voice heard. These women truly are strong, smart, and bold.
- Learn more about Girl Up, an organization that seeks to empower girls in other countries by inspiring action in girls in our own communities.
- As this year’s theme indicates, girls can and do have an impact on our world. Read about Girls Changing History in this online exhibit by the National Women’s History Museum and Girls Learn International, and share it with a girl in your life!
- Follow #IWD or @womensday on Twitter for updates on how groups and individuals all over the world are honoring and celebrating the day.
- And if you aren’t sure why you should care about International Women’s Day, Nada Zohdy gives you five reasons.
So often we get caught up in our own programs and community challenges. Today we celebrate an international effort with global progress that affects all of us. So this year, get involved! In a comment below, let us know who is the most inspiring woman in your life. How will you celebrate International Women’s Day?
Join us at Global Gifts on Mass Ave or in Nora Plaza TODAY to support fair trade products made by women all over the world. Your purchase not only provides vital income for women and their families abroad, but also supports greater Indianapolis girls. Learn more.